Tuesday, November 26, 2013
There are many ways to be a compassionate responsible earth steward and make a positive contribution to the world. An earth steward is a person who makes the conscious decision to make wise choices and decisions that affect his or her local world and is careful that these choices and decisions help the planet.
1. Go vegan. "Did you know that the amount of water required to produce 1 burger could float a battleship?" #quote Howard Lyman ex-4th generation cattle rancher turned vegan
2. Become a holistic herbalist and eschew #bigpharma. Did you know that more than 50% of the ingredients in over the counter and prescription medications contain toxic petrochemicals which are derived from crude oil, i.e., the gas in your tank? Natural plant herbs, such as chamomile, lavender, lemongrass, peppermint, garlic, and ginger are much safer and healthier and don't require any factory processing. You simply pull them wild from the ground, and chop them and brew an herbal tea or press them to make a nice lovely herbal mixture.
3. Buy #organic as often as possible. When you buy #organic, you're not just voting with your wallet, contributing to a more socially conscious economy, you're also protecting your family's health, and you're saying NO to crude oil, which is what pesticides contain.
4. Think globally, act locally. There is much to be said about supporting local businesses and contributing to a much smaller carbon footprint. Every time you purchase a product that needs to be shipped and delivered, you are contributing to more consumption of crude oil being used as fuel. Buying locally is much better because your dollars are only going toward purchasing a product; they're not going toward paying for the delivery fuel.
5. Wear #organic or wear nothing. Did you know that the ingredient "fragrance" that's in cosmetics and personal care products contain at least 5,000 petrochemicals, none of which have been tested or scrutinized by the U.S. FDA? Protect your family's health and become an avid label reader. If you cannot pronounce an ingredient, pass it by! Propylene glycol is a petrochemical that contains anti-freeze, the toxic stuff that is used to protect your car from extreme freezing temperatures and that is commonly found in cosmetics. Read the label and look for ingredients like peppermint, chamomile, sandalwood, patchouli, ylang ylang, aloe vera, and olive oil. You know these are herbs that grow wild in the ground throughout the world and it's much safer for you to use them than the toxic stuff! For more information, please visit my website: www.notperfume.com.
6. As the kosher law states, "if in doubt, do without," so is the same principle for making purchases of food and cosmetics for your health and wellbeing. If you cannot pronounce an ingredient and you need to go to the trouble to understand what it means, then it is very likely, this ingredient will harm you and your family and you're better off without it!
7. Enjoy the beautiful great outdoors and fresh air and go out and play! This 1 is pretty self-explanatory, but it is exactly as it sounds. The best way to honor, respect, and celebrate Mother Earth and all her beautiful wonder is to play in her grass, her trees, playfully interact with her sweet little Elemental beings, the butterflies, dragonflies, frogs, crickets, and turtles, and ducks, and have fun and breathe the fresh clean air!
It is much easier than you might think to be a happy, healthy, smart Earth Steward and it is never too late to start and enjoy it!
Tuesday, November 19, 2013
My dear husband, our sweet wonderful baby son, and I celebrate Thanksgiving, but in an alternative non-traditional manner. We enjoy a wonderful, delicious, organic, vegan Tofurky Feast. We are very thankful for all the wonderful Blessings of Love and Peace in our life. We are also very thankful that our meal is humane and compassionate to Mother Earth and all her beautiful precious beings - animal and plant. There is a lot to be said about maintaining a small carbon footprint that includes all walks of life in the animal kingdom and plant kingdom. Every choice we make creates a ripple effect and has a positive impact on the planet locally and globally. When we vote with our wallets and make conscious aware eating choices, the effects can be felt across the globe.
That being said, having an awareness of every facet of our personal life in the purchases we make, the foods we eat, and the actions we take, are all crucial and integral on a personal local level and on a global planetary level. It brings much humble joy and peace to our hearts knowing that each choice we make is gentle and compassionate and we are teaching our beautiful child to respect and care about the world in which he lives. We are raising a beautiful Indigo child who cares about and respects the world around him and will be a shining example to follow for future generations. I am very thankful to be a wise, healthy, aware Mama, and have a wise, healthy, aware dear husband who shares my care, passion, and respect for Mother Earth and her beautiful beings.