Indian Dolphin Hug

Indian Dolphin Hug
Love For Mother Earth

Friday, May 10, 2013

Compassion and Respect for Humans and Animals

Does anyone understand the power of the written word for conveying important messages like veganism and organic green living?  Why do people feel the need to share gruesome images of animal cruelty to get their point across?  I'm a writer and I use my writing to raise awareness.  My soon to be completed and published organic vegan cookbook is also a wonderful helpful tool to inspire and help people eat healthier and enjoy living lighter healthy more enlightened living.   When people share gruesome ugly images of animal cruelty on Facebook, it is very off-putting, upsetting, and very disturbing after enjoying the delicious wonderful meal that I worked very hard to make, Respect and compassion go both ways.  You know, on netflix, when something is gruesome, it can be blocked, but not on Facebook.  If I were to post gruesome images of dead  human bodies, I would be blocked.  What is the difference?  

Do we herbivores really want to be known and recognized for the gruesome images we share with the rest of the world or do we want to be known for the positive contributions we make everyday by the choices we make?  I've been a vegan for 20 years and if anyone knows the truth about factory farming and animal cruelty, it's me.  Over the years, I've learned that the best way to convey an important message and raise awareness is via written articles and essays and books.  Reading John Robbins' "Diet For A New America" and Dr. Michael Klaper's "Vegan Nutrition, Pure and Simple" informed me and inspired me to make healthy wise conscious choices and decisions.  I didn't need anyone to hit me over the head, so-to-speak.  I simply needed adequate information with facts to help me make an informed wise decision and seeing my family suffer from ill health contributed to my wise decision.

4 comments:

  1. So much appreciate this post and your insightful & tolerant mindset.
    We are all at different places along our paths, and I don't like to insult others by assuming that what is good for me is always also good for them, rather to offer solid information and let them make their own decision, in their own time.
    I believe that being educated to make an informed choice is far better than one based on emotion and inflammatory rhetoric. I am a big proponent of peaceful, positive change, and think you can change more minds by example and offering factual information to open people's eyes. Being hit over the head' only causes resistance, so it is counter-productive, from my POV.
    thanks for an insightful and interesting post, Dayna.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Stephanie for your wonderful lovely sweet comment. I'm glad you enjoyed reading what I wrote. I appreciate it very much. Thank you for appreciating my voice and heartfelt insights and you're very welcome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're most welcome, Dayna, and I am happy to find your blog!

      Delete
  3. Wow, what a great post, and quite true...... most are resistant as you say, but to be really honest, I became vegan after clicking on a link from a vegan friend and watched 'the earthlings'........prior to that I was resistant to the gruesome photos etc and had unsubscribed from her facebook page! I went back to her wall after curiosity got the better of me, and that doco was the last straw!!!! I am really trying hard to share the info and resist posting gore and I always think twice about what I post now as I am aware that some just dont want to know, or will 'see' when they are ready! I think a gentle nudge on a regular basis is a better approach ( at least with my bunch of non-vegan friends anyway! ) x

    ReplyDelete