Indian Dolphin Hug

Indian Dolphin Hug
Love For Mother Earth

Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Decluttering Is Great For The Soul


With all the stress in my life, one important thing I've learned that helps me stay on an even keel is cleaning and de-cluttering.  Being buried in a mountain of clutter is horrible for the psyche and is very draining, emotionally and physically.  There is nothing to be gained by accumulating so much stuff that you become disorganized, stressed out, and unable to focus.  For me, Spring cleaning is more than just cleaning the dirt and grime and making my home sparkling clean.  Spring cleaning is about separating the wheat from the chaff and out with the old and in with the new.  I'm a very simple down-to-earth woman and I don't need a mountain of stuff and I especially don't need three of everything.  My husband and I were fortunate enough to find an interesting set of rules online that's served as a great guideline for de-cluttering.  

Here are some of the rules we follow.  If we haven't used the item in six months and we're not going to use it in six months, we freecycle, donate, or discard it.  If an item would sell for less than $10, it's not worth selling; therefore, recycle, donate, or discard it.  If the clothing or item is tattered and too grimy to clean, discard it.   A surprising thing happened when we de-cluttered.  We found many things that we can recycle and underneath the pile, we found several items that we've been looking for that we thought we'd either lost or accidentally discarded.  The best part of de-cluttering is the tremendous feeling of relief knowing that we're lightening our load and creating positive space for more positive in-flow.

No comments:

Post a Comment